Amazon Image Requirements refer to the guidelines and specifications set by Amazon for the images used in product listings on its platform. Here’s an in-depth look at Amazon image requirements, including size, resolution, backdrop, composition, and more. Please remember that the information supplied is correct as of my knowledge deadline in September 2021, and Amazon image requirements may have changed since then. For the most up-to-date information, visit the official Amazon Seller Central website or contact Amazon Support for Sellers.
When it comes to selling things on Amazon, high-quality images are essential for attracting customers and generating sales. Amazon image requirements are strict that sellers must follow in order to maintain regularity, professionalism, and an effortless buying experience for customers.
Let’s explore Amazon Image Requirements in detail
File Formats: Check that you used the correct image format. Amazon accepts two primary image formats: JPEG (.jpg) and GIF (.gif). These formats are generally compatible and indicated for product photos. While other formats may be supported, it is best to utilize JPEG or GIF to ensure perfect compatibility and consistency between devices.
Minimum Image Size: Product images must have a minimum size of 1000 pixels on the longest side. This ensures that the images are large enough to display the product details clearly and provide a satisfactory viewing experience. However, never attempt shorter than 1000.
Preferred Resolution: High-resolution photos are essential for presenting clear and detailed representations of your products to customers. Images having a resolution of 72 pixels per inch (PPI) or higher are suggested by Amazon. This guarantees that the photographs are clean and appropriately represent fine details. It is important to use high-quality, sharp photographs free of blurriness, pixelation, and other mistakes.
Maximum File Size: The maximum allowed file size for product images on Amazon is 10MB. It is important to balance image quality with file size to prevent slow loading times. Image optimization without sacrificing quality can reduce file size while keeping the appropriate resolution.
Background: Amazon requires product images to have a pure white background (RGB 255, 255, 255). This ensures consistency across all product listings and provides a clean and professional look. The product should be the main focus of the image, and there should be no additional text, logos, watermarks, or graphics on the background.
Sellers may satisfy Amazon’s requirements for a clean white background by using a clipping path service. Clipping path services remove the background of the product image, resulting in a clean and professional appearance that aligns with Amazon’s guidelines.
Image Composition: Amazon encourages sellers to provide consumers with a thorough view of their products by utilizing different perspectives and viewpoints. The primary product should take up at least 85% of the image frame, allowing the product details to be easily seen. Additional lifestyle or background photographs may be added as long as they properly represent the item’s features, size, and usage.
Color Mode: Images on Amazon should be in the RGB (Red, Green, Blue) color mode. This color option is appropriate for online use and guarantees that colors look as expected. Using images in the CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) color mode, which is primarily used for print, is not recommended for Amazon product images.
Image Naming and Organization: It is important to use an identical and organized naming strategy for your product photos. Clear and informative filenames might help you manage and identify your photographs easier. Avoid using special letters, symbols, or spaces in filenames, as they can cause problems during the uploading process.
Image Restrictions: Amazon may apply more image restrictions on certain products because of legal or cultural factors. Specific categories, such as adult products or limited brands, may have extra Amazon Image requirements or limitations.
Here are six general tips that you can apply to your business field when it comes to product images
- Use Original Images: It is crucial to use original images of your products rather than relying on stock photos or images sourced from other sellers. Original images provide an accurate representation of your product, build trust with customers, and differentiate your brand from competitors.
- Fill the Frame: When photographing a product, try to fill the frame with the product, covering at least 100% of the image space. This helps customers to see the product and its details clearly and without distractions.
- Use Different Pictures of the Product: Include multiple images that show different perspectives, or product variations. This makes it possible for clients to picture the goods from different perspectives and understand their appearance thoroughly. Different photos can highlight specific features or show how the product looks from various angles, increasing buyer confidence in purchasing it.
- Provide Sufficient Information: Your product photos should properly express crucial product characteristics. While photographs are visually appealing, they can be enhanced with descriptive text or graphic overlays to highlight certain features, measurements or usage instructions. Find out that the photographs and supporting text complement each other to provide a thorough and accurate description of the product.
- Use Professional Photographers for Capturing and Editing: Consider hiring a professional photographer who specializes in product photography to capture high-quality images. Professional photographers have the expertise to showcase your products in the best possible light, using proper lighting, composition, and equipment. They can also help with post-processing and editing to improve the photographs and ensure they fit Amazon’s specifications while also looking attractive.
- Show Packaging and Accessories: If your product comes with packaging or includes additional accessories, include images that showcase them. This helps customers understand what they will receive and provides a sense of completeness.
How do you photograph a product for Amazon?
Taking high-quality product pictures for Amazon image requirements attention to detail and a focus on showcasing your product in the best possible way. Here are some steps to consider when capturing product images for Amazon:
Set up a Proper Photography Setup: Make a specific location with suitable lighting and a clean background. A bright location with natural or artificial lighting is good. To maintain a professional and consistent effect across your photographs, choose a simple white backdrop.
Use a Tripod or Stable Surface: To avoid camera shake and maintain sharpness, use a tripod or stable surface to hold your camera or smartphone.
Optimize Lighting: Ensure consistent lighting across the product to avoid severe shadows or overexposure. To soften the light and reduce reflections, use diffusers or reflectors.
Capture Multiple Angles: Take pictures of your product from various angles to provide a comprehensive view. Capture the front, back, sides, and any unique or intricate details that may be relevant to customers.
Showcase Product Scale and Usage: Include photographs that show the scale and usage of your product, depending on its size. Show the product in use or in the setting. This allows buyers to see how the product will seem or fit in real-life circumstances, giving them important details about its size and effectiveness.
How many photos can you upload to Amazon?
On Amazon, the number of images you can have for a product listing depends on the category and the type of product you are selling. However, in general, Amazon allows sellers to upload up to nine images per product. While nine images is the maximum allowed, it is not mandatory to use all of them. It’s important to note that each image should comply with Amazon image requirements in terms of size, resolution, format, and content.
Creating interesting and attractive product photos is critical for Amazon’s success. Sellers can improve their product listings and increase their chances of attracting customers and increasing sales by following Amazon image requirements for size, resolution, backdrop, structure, and other factors. It’s important to stay up to date on any modifications or improvements to Amazon image requirements and make any necessary improvements to your product photographs. Sellers may enhance their Amazon presence and stand out in the competitive e-commerce environment by investing time and effort in developing high-quality images.